Logbook

23 July 2018

Preparations

One job finished, two new ones discovered. That’s how things go when you’re working on an old boat. When we sailed to San Blas at the beginning of the year we noticed notches corroded into our aftstay. That means we need to change the aftstay. And to make it worthwhile, we also changed the lower shrouds and the outer shrouds. Those are the stainless steel wires that hold our mast up. When we attached the new forestay we noticed small, cosmetic cracks in the forestay chainplate. Just to be safe, we took the forestay off again and brought the chainplate to a welder.

Our wind instrument had died before our trip to San Blas. What was broken? Masttop transducer, display and the cable in the mast: basically, everything. We changed the PCB chip in the transducer, combined two broken displays into one working one, and connected the wind instrument to the ground cable of the masthead light. Hooray, it’s working again!

Then I made the mistake of taking the covers off our other instruments. Oh boy! That looked better just recently; the displays were still legible. Now they have a fat black spot in the centre.

Instrumente fehlen

Empty holes where our speed and depth instruments usually sit. The "new" wind instrument is already installed in the top right corner.

In my mind’s eye I already saw the numbers and dollar signs flying past, stopping somewhere around USD 1000. Shortly before I lost my head, Laura told me to stay calm. Resourceful as ever, within a day she had found someone in the USA who sells replacement LCD displays. If you’re in the USA, you send your damaged instrument in and he will take out the broken LCD display and put in the new one. That doesn’t work so well from Panama. He warned us that changing the display of our ST60 Depth instrument can only be done with a soldering iron for electronic repairs, a vacuum pump and a lot of soldering experience. I had to make do with what I had, so I used a file to sharpen the point of a $3 supermarket soldering iron and put two reading glasses over top of each other on my nose. A few hours later our instruments had brand new LCD displays. Still a little skeptical, I connected the instruments to the transducers again. Turned the switch on and… nothing. Too bad! Oh yeah, I had taken the fuse out. The fact that the instruments actually work again and are perfectly legible is the reward for choosing to repair rather than replace them.

Alle Instrumente funktionieren

Repair instead of replace. We revived our speed and depth instruments with new LCD displays. Now all our instruments are working!

- Thorsten

11 June 2018

Panama Canal – the first step

Long time no read… We’re in Shelter Bay Marina in Panama and are getting ready to transit the Panama Canal into the Pacific soon.

Today was an important day – we filled out our form to register with the Canal Authority and arrange for an admeasurement appointment! That’s when the admeasurer comes to your boat to measure the total length of the boat and check that you have all necessary equipment such as a horn and a toilet on board. Even with the anchor on the bow and the windvane on the stern we’re well below 50 feet overall length, so we’re not worried about the inspection (50 feet is the magic length above which the Canal fees increase signficantly).

Another important achievement - Thorsten installed our new lower shrouds today. We replaced our aftstay several weeks ago. When we took down the lower starboard side shroud, we discovered that the inner cone of the Norseman terminal was cracked slightly. We didn’t have any more spares, and they’re not easy to find since Norseman went out of business several years ago. Luckily we found a company in the USA that still has replacement cones. We had them shipped to Panama and they finally arrived last week! Now we can continue changing our standing rigging.

Our Norseman replacement cones have arrived

Finally they’re here! Thorsten shows off one of our new Norseman cones. Beneath him is the drum with our new rigging wire. 

We’ll be underway for long stretches in the Pacific, the longest being about a month to French Polynesia. We were given a dehydrator by another cruiser, and last week we tried it out for the first time. I dried pineapple and mango. They’ll be delicious snacks when we run out of fresh fruit while underway – if they last that long! They’re so delicious, especially the pineapple, that we could dig into them right away.

Dehydrator filled with dried mango and pineapple

Too bad we can’t share smells with you via the internet. The dried mango and pineapple pieces fill our boat with their wonderful fragrance.

Preparations are underway and we’ll keep you updated as our Canal transit date approaches!

- Laura